KEEPING YOUR LITTLEBIGPLANET LEVEL FROM OVERHEATING
There is one thing that level creators on Littlebigplanet love to hate and that is the pesky level thermometer! This gauges how much you can put in your level before it becomes unplayable; but there are quite a few ways to keep it from rising so fast. So below is a list of great and useful tips to help you fit more in your level.
1) The more materials you use the faster the thermometer rises, try to keep it down to 5 or 6 materials but whatever you do always include dark matter in your material selection as that is the most useful material and can be used to make everything from floating platforms to swings.
2) Only place stickers and decorations in your level when you have finished your level construction, if you put them in as you go along you may find that the level will overheat before you have finished building your level, also like materials try to keep your sticker/decoration to a minimum of 5 or 6 types.
3) Try to avoid using too many of the same object, especially if that object has things like bolts, pistons and emitters these can make an object costly to put in your level.
4) Believe it or not object shapes and materials have a value based on the weight and number of corners or vertices they have, the higher the value the more expensive that object/shape is to use, below is a table of shapes, materials and their values.
CIRCLE HIGH (!)
5 POINT STAR MED
6 POINT STAR HIGH
TEAR DROP MED
90o TRIANGLE LOW
DARK MATTER LOW
PINK/PEACH FLOATY LOW
5) Avoid using emitters at all costs! these little buggers fill your thermometer up faster than light itself.
6)Add a close level post near the start of your level, if you don't then it can make more complex levels lag and make it very difficult for others to play.
7) Lastly try not to put too many prize/score bubbles in your level, like premade objects too many of these will send your thermometer skyrocketing to the top.
I hope you found this guide helpful and it helps you to make some wicked levels, i will add more tips and tricks if and when i discover them, and keep your eyes peeled for my other Litllebigplanet guides which will be coming soon!!